Sunday 20 January 2013

Freshwater Bay Through the Looking Glass. The story so far...

Dearest Em,

As GiGi gets further into the story and nearer to the day of having a completed manuscript, I thought it might be a good time to tell you how this all came about. It kind of began as a bit of a joke...

It was spring 2012, and the good old trustees of Dimbola were fighting again. The war this time was about plans for increasing the tearoom and Gift Shop turnover. This is GiGi's area and committee, and our chairman put forward a fab new design and revamp centred around Lewis Carroll's 'Mad Hatter'.

Someone commented that our Julia could be the Queen of Hearts! Someone else said- 'Oh no she couldn't, someone else 'Oh yes she could', and so it went in true trusty trustees style. In one ear for GiGi, but not quite out the other. Something was ringing bells...

That night I went home and read 'Alice' and then 'Through the Looking Glass' and the bells got louder.
The clue was in the Tenniel illustration. It was said of John Tenniel that he could see a photograph, or someone just once, and then cariacaturise them. Well there it was...

Our Jules was not only there in the illustrated cariacature, but also references to her in the text. I looked further, more characters became unmasked- but surely someone must have made the connection before? Handy working at the Bookroom Em's. Especially when there's a heap of stuff Victorian and Island-based. My research library could not have been better stocked! Yes, there had been some tenous links to Tweedledum and Tweedledee being the Tennyson boys, and Lynn Truss's Tennysons Gift, put Dodgson firmly in the Freshwater spotlight. However, it hadn't all been uncovered and put together as to what I increasingly knew it was. Also lucky for me, there were some of the most wonderful and respected Academic bods to confer with right here under my nose about the researched ( and hitherto unresearched ) history of its real-life counterparts.

'Through the Looking Glass' was not only a satire of characters here, but it was set here too. Walking those two characters Milly and Marley Middleton up Tennyson Down and through 'The Wilderness', I was fortunate in being able to see the twists and turns of each chapter daily, right in front of me.



Then there was the poetry parodies to unravel ( most of these have been discovered. ) Then, good old Professor Jowett Master of Balliol ( who regularly stayed her at GiGI's house when translating Plato during his Easter, summer and Christmas holidays- when he taught the Tennyson boys how to play chess ) cropped up as another character, and introduced me to the Oxford Movement and what had preceeded the book.

Such fun Emily, and lots been done and yet to do! Nights sat working on my bibliography, 'colouring in' ( as Grumpa calls my artwork ) and reading, reading, reading.

The even lovelier thing is the symbiosis of this at good old Dimbola. The board decided in September to widen their articles to encompass the incredible 'Freshwater Circle' and lovely Bob two doors down is writing a publication to sell at the House, accompanying his lectures ( you've got to come and hear him Em, he's such a good speaker! ) It's all rather exciting. This area is an incredibly rich part of our National Heritage, it's landscape enticed Tennyson, yes, and then Julia to Dimbola, but more Em and more and more.

My part is the Dodgson study and I'm playing with my cover today, what do you think?


Back to Dimbola and our entree. We did revamp the tearoom. We moved the shop into a better space and cleared the hall-way ( Julia's old ballroom ) of its earlier clutter. The lovely waitresses started serving us coffee with a smile stencilled on. The wonderful volunteers got together to enter for an award this year ( they had all worked their free of charge at Christmas to help the Trust. ) Visitors began to get louder, and relax more over their Sunday lunches, using the hallway as a gathering space.
Julia's former home began to feel cosier and more friendly. I like to think Julia approves of all this somewhere. We aren't even due to launch the changes until Easter, but already there's a vibrant and positive aura emanating from its walls. The new Freshwater Circle is alive and kicking. Dimbola has a history of vital and unique characters populating it's halls, and a new chapter begins to evolve.

I'm really honoured to be a part of all this team-work Emily, I hope you enjoy it when you come again at Easter.
Do you think I found the discoveries, or do you think they found me? I think I know, and I'll tell you why next time!

There you are today with Daddy off on your 'Winter Wonderland walks' today, my little muse.


Can't wait to see you again! Your ever-loving Grandmother GiGi xxxxx






6 comments:

  1. I do like your cover (even though LC was sending up Longfellow with that one!)
    Allow me to recommend an excellent book, which has no direct bearing on Mrs Cameron & Co, but is jolly good if you're not put off by a bit of maths: Lewis Carroll in Numberland (subtitled His Fantastical Mathematical Logical Life: An Agony in Eight Fits) by Robin J Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!
    As I said in my email to you, I have difficulty with the Math, being a wrong-brained child of 1960's education. I'd love to talk with you about this.
    The Longfellow parody I was aware of, it seems most of the petical ones are.
    But, tnis is exciting, pulling together all the strands of LC's comensurate brain, hitherto condemed to being just the most famous childs book ever!
    Let's speak!
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urrgh, I meant 'poetical' ones are, and 'this' is exciting, and 'condemned' . Pardonez-moi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tout comprenez, and all cela, Gail! You'll find the book in Freshwater Library; I'd love to talk about it as well: we'll have to fix something up.

      Delete
  4. How lovely to meet you today, Gail. Pennies fall exceeding slow through the 2 lbs of golden syrup that stands in for my brain, but they get there in the end! (Sound waves travel even more slowly; you may have to shout next time.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like-wise Steve, you were very helpful regarding the 'A Town Like Alice' book. Freshwater library really stands out to me as an ex-Londoner as a great example of what a Library is, and even under austere circumstances, still is. I work in a bookshop, and some of your lovely peeps have been in, and when I was researching my house, were incredibly helpful even without my knowledge by putting out a request for info. What a joy!

    Hope you like my latest post, it really is such fun doing this. Just have to race through the work-day in order to fit in the project stuff!

    ReplyDelete