Saturday 20 April 2013

A Little 'Tritease' on Perception and Rivalry...

BROTHER AND SISTER

"Sister, sister, go to bed!
Go and rest your weary head."
Thus the prudent Brother said.
Do you want a battered hide,
Or scratches to your face applied?"
Thus his sister calm repled.

"Sister do not raise my wrath.
I'll make you into mutton broth
As easily as kill a moth!"

The sister raised her beaming eye
And looked on him indignantly
And sternly answered, “Only try!”
Off to the cook he quickly ran.
“Dear Cook, please lend a frying-pan
To me as quickly as you
can.”
“And wherefore should I lend it you?”
“The reason, Cook, is plain
to view.
I wish to make an Irish stew.”
“What meat is in that stew to go?”
“My sister’ll be the contents!”
“Oh!”
“You’ll lend the pan to me, Cook?”
“No!”
Moral: Never stew your sister.

Charles L. Dodgson 1845

Dearest Emily,

The sun was at long last shining today, as I opened up the Bookroom, and putting a flier up in the window for our 'Alice' exhibition at Dimbola it amused me to see that the flier was directly in front of a shelf containing all the volumes of Ruskin's 'Modern Painters'.


Considering that our studies here in this blog have revealed how Dodgson felt a rivalry towards Ruskin that culminated in the mockery of him in Carrollian Alice-Malice stylee, I wondered how either might have felt about rubbing shoulders in a bookshop, one and a half centuries later.

Hopefully, they would feel a mutual pride in their legacies- both Literal ( Ruskins 'Truth to Nature' was fast acclaimed as an artistic standard, and Carroll's 'Alice' within a period of twenty years of publication became next to the Bible and Shakespeare the most quoted book in our language ) - and financial- both parties were incredibly benevolent- Ruskin to his causes and Dodgson to his descendents.

As we continue this train of thought Emily, I am filled with Grand-motherly joy about the news that you are soon to have a new brother or sister.

After congratulating your Daddy and Mummy, I said "Uh-oh, I don't suppose Miss Emily will take too kindly to having to share the limelight though", which from what I know of you so far, my little one- I don't suppose that to begin with, you will.

But you'll soon learn and adapt and grow in character and know of all the joys and tribulations that having a sibling can bring. Lucky you Em.

Your Daddy and Uncle Ed have always been very close.

Though five years apart- from the day that Daddy laid eyes on his new little brother, he treated him as though given a present. One that he needed to look out for and protect.

He has also fought with him, yelled at him, and nit-picked and berated most of the thoughts that came out as words from his head. There was quite a bit of sibling rivalry along the way too, I even bought books on the subject to try and parent it properly.

Daddy was in awe of Ed's acting prowess and success, and Ed was envious of Daddy's ability to succeed in the Corporate world.

'Twas ever thus Emily, all over the planet, throughout history.

Some of that rivalry is nonsense- and yet helps to shape our own characters and what we do in life.

Take our Ruskin and Dodgson for example. Not siblings of course, but the rivalry was certainly perceived by Dodgson- and his envy of Ruskin's relationship with the Liddells ( he was their Drawing-Master ) and Ruskin's advice to him that attempts to self-illustrate 'Alice' "were a waste of time", culminated in his being turned into the 'Gryphon' and became an immortal part of the eponymous tales.

Who knows what becomes of that which we do during our lifetimes Emily?

I told Daddy that I had better start writing another book soon, as otherwise you would have one, and your brother or sister would not.

But it also strikes me that I've somewhat spoiled your own perceptions of the 'Alice' stories, before you have had a chance to get embroiled in them- so, I'm wondering what Granny- GiGi can now spoil for your sibling's literary childhood...

Ah well Emily, it's all about perception really, isn't it.

I shall end tonight with the advice I gave to your Daddy and Eddie- "Never let the sun go down on an argument between you". They haven't, but they mess up in other ways just the same!

Plus ca change, plus que c'est la meme chose, ma petite...

Your ever-loving Grand-mother GiGi xxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment