Tuesday 23 September 2014

September Serendipity

Dearest Emily,

Cycling home from work two weeks ago now- I parked my trusty bike whilst opening and closing the Mill House gate. As I went to pick her up- I looked across the estuary, and entranced by the light= took a snap on my phone.


Deciding that this should be September's painting project- I set to work at it on my Bookshop days. When I finished it this afternoon Emily, I realised something. You know what I was telling you about at the weekend about moving house?  Well, the house we are moving to nestles in the little valley tinted orange in my picture!
When Grumpa saw it- he called it 'The Past, Present and Future'. Uncle Joe called it 'Serendipity'.

They're both right- so call it whichever you prefer. I do so love September Em, especially with the fabulous Indian Summer we seem now to have as a regular feature. Swinburne calls it 'Kind September' in the poem below. I think that sums it up rather well;

SEPTEMBER
Hail, kind September, friend whose grace
Renews the bland year's bounteous face
Through many a land that laughs with love
With largess given of corn and wine
Of thee and all the heaven above,
More fruitful found than all save thine
Whose skies fulfil with strenuous cheer
The fervent fields that knew thee near.
Over and out Em, hope you are having fun!
Your ever-loving Grandmother,
GiGi xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment