Saturday 14 November 2015

Lady in Waiting

Dearest Emily,

I'm not sure why your little sister' portrait has turned out  with the feel of a little old woman- however, I make no apologies.


Here's my thinking.


Here you are at the same age, and I remember thinking how you struck me as a little old lady, with your handbag and your cardi.



See- more evidence!

So- today my post is about us girls- all being old ladies in training. GiGi is further on with her training than you two- and with luck I fully intend to embrace the status.

However Em, I also intend to never leave the child behind. The joys, the excitement, the wonder of discovery- and the sense of fun, and the fantastic.

For example Em- I've been in a state of excitement all week- as this friday- we did an interview for Woman's Hour- can you imagine! Fave radio station- fave programme- and absolutely ideal platform for Mrs Cameron and her £20 Note Campaign.

The way it came about was a bit of magic Emily.

It was back in May, when at one of the old 'Board Meetings' someone mentioned that Woman's Hour had suggested Julia Margaret Cameron as a possible candidate for the visual artist on the new £20 note.

I went home and pulled out one of my old fake £20's that I made as gift tokens when I ran the shop there. I'd put Julia on as the Queen (treasonable, I was told) and the next thing I knew I was writing to On the Wight about campaigning to nominate her from the Island- including the link to the Bank of England's web-site. The lovely On the Wight published straight away...

Little known to me- all the way across in Newport- a lovely lady called Julie had heard the programme too- and had written away to The County Press with the same intention as me. The County Press made up a much more appropriate fake note than I- so, they won't go to the Tower.

Next thing I knew- joint friend Tracy was on the phone- and put Julie the lovely lady from Newport on. We decided to join forces, and the first time we met was a few days later- in a car-park outside Isle of Wight Radio. We're now firm friends.

Campaigning has been huge fun- and really seemed to garner public support. Fast-forward to September, and there we are at Bestival in the Feminist tent- performing a fringe talk on Mrs C.

A lady comes up to us at the end, saying how much she enjoyed it- and it turns out she was the Producer of the actual programme that inspired us both!

She thinks about running a piece to coincide with the up-coming V & A Exhibition of Julia's work- and hey presto- we're fixed up for friday.

Here are some pics Em- it was great fun- Louise was a joy to work with- and let's see what makes it on air.


We had fun, hope you and Annabel are too,

Your ever-loving Grandmother,

GiGi xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment