Friday 17 May 2013

Agatha Brazen and the Curious Legacies...part one, t.b.c

Dearest Em,

As you know seeing as we had breakfast together yesterday, it has been a busy week. GiGi's brain is still doing back-flips over Dimbola's award, and trying to fit in all my meetings AND see my favourite Grand-daughter meant a bit of a whirl was the week.

So, I sat down tonight for a bit of decompression time, and was just mulling over the amazing Dodgson stuff I've been given to research further. There is 'Tweedle-tons' Em, and I hardly dare start- but I can see quite easily where it is all going. This is what it'll be...

Talking over with my 'Mystery Guest' as I shall call him for now- I see quite clearly that my Big Person's Book ( not your little picture-book Em, that's yours, this one is mine, ) will be about Dodgson's benevolence overall. I have been struck by this more and more, and can see how I can begin with him as a lad at Rugby, and with the Genesis of Jabberwocky my favourite poem, take us right through to the 'Hunting of the Snark' and Sandown here on the Isle of Wight.

So, that's as far as my thoughts went- and I looked around my Scullery Studio- and even I have to agree with Grumpa- it's a MESS! Normally, I ignore his calls for a scullery-cull but I do think it is time to clear my desk up- a little bit anyhow.

I've suspended the clearing up process Em, most of my desk is now on the floor, tell you why in a minute.

Going back to 'The Hunting of the Snark' and Sandown. 'Jabberwocky's muse' genuflects towards the Snark, of which a part of the genesis began in Surrey in July 1874, whilst Dodgson was nursing his sick Godson Charles Hazzard Wilcox.

Later in 1875, we can read on Wikipedia an account of another young muse, Gertrude Chataway-this time for 'The Hunting of the Snark':-

Carroll first became friends with Gertrude in 1875, when she was aged nine, while on holiday at the English seaside resort of Sandown. He made a number of pen and ink sketches of Gertrude as a young girl. He continued to correspond with her, and to spend numerous seaside holidays with her, including several when she was in her late twenties.

Dans my clearing up task, there's a wrapper from a stick of rock, that's sitting alone in a bag which contained a manuscript given to me by a local Author and treasure, who would like it reprinted under Dimbola Books imprint. She's given me this little wrapper because she knows I have a nice little print of Plumbly's Hotel circa 1865, and she thought I might like it.


Look at it Em- 'Gerty's Gob-stoppers with a scene from Plumbley's Hotel, with the company 'Chataway Chews and Sweets ltd'.

The wrapper only looks about twenty years old.

Anyhow, it's a good enough reason to leave all my papers on the floor ( at least my desk is now clear ) enrage Grumpa ( not difficult ) and go off at another curiosity tangent!

Hurrah for Gertie's Gobstoppers, night night,

Your ever-loving Grand-mother, GiGi xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment