Friday 3 May 2013

'Aux Contrairiwise'

Dearest Emily,

Well, GiGi had a most interesting day yesterday...

A friend and I set-off for a bit of a road-trip. We had been asked to pick up a book for the exhibition from a Lady whom I shall call 'Alice'.

Now, Emily, to be truthful I did not know quite what to expect. This lady had told me she had an 'Alice Museum' in her garden. She had been an Alice fan all her life apparently. I did not know whether I would feel like coming over all Joan Crawford to a Baby Jane if I'm honest, because although I'm curious about people, their interests and curiosities- I'm not an 'Alice' ephemerista as such- well to my mind anyhow!

Anyhow, I'll tell you how it went...

We arrived, and pulled up at the front of what must have been some kind of house- but there was no chance to take that in.

We were met, by a charming, glamorous and stylish Lady, with the most beautiful eyes that glittered with a twinkly impishness.

" Come in, come in, let me get you a drink, sit here in my 'Pimms Garden'. So, we sat and were brought lime cordial and told to 'be very careful with the glasses as she did not want them broken. "Off she went to prepare our lunch. As she reappeared, she said "Well, you fell for my first joke- the glasses are plastic- they are rather good aren't they? Now, follow me- I have six gardens. " We did, and were then bidden upstairs to go to 'Morocco'. Up we went, and into a floor that was all Yves Saint Laurent Stylee circa 1967, the beautiful blue, cushions, throws, clothing,shoes...

Ok, so 'Alice' tells us she is a Collector- and so she is- but nothing is 'hoarded', it is beautifully displayed, no dust anywhere- and her sense of colour- exquisite!

We trawl wide-eyed through various themed rooms, and I spot two rather lovely paintings. "Oh yes they are mine. They are the only ones I felt were good enough to display."

We go into the back gardens, there are mirrors everywhere, changing the space and try as I might I could get no handle on what the structure of the house was, though I love buildings- I gave up- for this was not important here.

"Go in there, that's my studio." I loved this one- her truly beautiful ( again use of colour ) paintings were stacked away, and pasted up on the ceiling in a studio I rather think Picasso would have liked to work in. I certainly wanted to stay there forever.

" Come and sit down " we were bidden again, and served a jolly good lunch. Over which our magician-like hostess held a rather enjoyable relaxed luncheon, as we all in turn told about our lives to each other and listened and spoke in equal measure. I began to feel I had lost any sense of time or urgency to return.

" Now, come and see my 'Alice Garden'." We followed, it was I think to the right hand side of the house. "Ok, now here is the Rabbit Hole- jump down it please."

We did. Next we were talked through the whole Alice story, accompanied by her own tableaux of collected items- all set out down the side of a house, where it seemed the sun shone, and it never rained, and there were no corners, or actually any indication of where we were. She finished at a door with a flourish. "Now, here is the end of the story on the back of this door, so I'm going through it!"


We stared, quite dumbstruck at each other, and I think giggled, or even laughed out loud I'm not sure. But I am sure it was with amazement.

However, no time to think- as we were summoned again- into a log-cabin- " It is Christmas here! " she said, and we sat around a round table with a fire in the middle and she turned on some fairy-lights. We sat on reindeer skins.

'Alice' told us, she had always been an Alice. She waived an arm towards a little Caravanette. I do my own thing, she said. My partner of forty years does his own thing too. I'm seventy four years old, and though I travel around by myself to see all the things I want to- one day I shan't be able to.

And then, I shall have all my 'other-worlds' here to sit in.

Well, I have known and met quite a few people one might label 'Eccentric'. That evening my friend looked up the definition of the word. One description seems the most apt.

'An organised unusual'.

This lady, this charming, glamorous, stylish twinkly eyed vibrant human being- knew herself so well, and had done all of this, not for the show-manship she shares gracefully for our enjoyment- but essentially for herself. She knew herself so well, and what she needed to ensure her own happiness, and she had created it- just for her and for those she might like to have enjoy it.

As my friend said- what a 'grounded' lady.

What a privilege Em, just wanted to share it with you!

Your ever-loving Grand-Mother, GiGi xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment